Trying to decide whether to install an in-ground or above-ground pool in your backyard? Your decision may be based on a variety of factors, including budget, location, taste, and backyard size. In this guide, we’ll look at some of the pros and cons of in-ground vs. above-ground pools.
In-ground pools are permanent fixtures built into the ground to fit seamlessly into the overall design of your backyard. Some of the pros and cons include:
- Adds value to the home and enhances your outdoor façade.
- Provides a seamless and uninterrupted water feature around your home.
- Range of design styles, shapes, sizes, and material options to match your specific taste and style.
- Longer lasting and durable – often over 50 years when maintained well.
- More expensive to build with additional costs like excavation, professional installation, permits, and pool safety fences needed.
- More maintenance, including cleaning with chemicals, running the filter or heater, and removing leaves and debris.
- Takes longer to build and install, sometimes taking months in some instances.
- Can be dangerous for kids if pool fencing and other safety regulations are not properly implemented.
Above-ground pools are more straightforward to install and don’t require the same level of building and excavation since they are built above the ground.
- Can be a safer option as they have walls extended above the ground, which makes it harder to fall in.
- Ideal for homeowners who want to install a pool quickly or are on a tight budget – they can be set up within days when installed by professionals.
- Can come with decking and railing for additional safety.
- Can limit the amount of space available in your backyard and make it look even smaller.
- Adds little to no value to your home and also needs to be maintained.
- Usually not safe for diving and other more extreme swimming activities.
- A more temporary rather than permanent pool solution for the home.
As you can see, there are benefits to both in-ground and above-ground pools. Island Pools & Patios can help you identify and install the perfect pool for your home, preference, and budget. For any pool supplies in Wildwood or pool pumps and filters in Avalon, give us a call today!